- Over forty-seven million people without health insurance
- One out of every four children living in poverty
- A staggering budget deficit
- A mammoth trade deficit
- An army of individuals working for subsistence wages
- A steady decline of Americans receiving advanced degrees in science and technology
- A deteriorating natural environment as evidenced by a rapidly growing population of children in the inner cities suffering from asthma
- An inexorable unraveling of the social safety net.
The nation appears to be at a significant crossroad where a continuation of the status quo is likely to lead to economic disaster.